Adam's California Plum Jam
This is a recipe made by a good friend in California, Adam - I have taken the liberty of changing the name from "Plum Jam" to "Adam's California Plum Jam" because It is Adam's recipe, and I find it hard to not recognize the fact that this jam has two bottles of zinfandel hiding in it; and zinfandel is California's 'Historic' Wine.
- 8 pounds red plums, washed
- 2 bottles zinfandel
- Juice of 6 lemons
- 5 vanilla beans
- 1 ½ tsp black peppercorns (crushed with mortar and pestal)
- 6 ½ cups sugar (organic)
- 6 ½ cups turbinado sugar
- Cook plums whole with a 1/2 cup of zinfandel
- Add lemon juice, the vanilla beans (split and scraped), the black pepper sugars and all remaining wine keeping 1 cup for step 8.
- Let this mixture sit for an hour or so, then bring it to a simmer and skim.
- Let sit overnight (covered once cool).
- Cook in three batches. Bring each batch to set point (I used a thermometer, set point is 8 degrees above boiling).
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and return to pot bringing jam back to a boil
- Add reserved 1 cup of wine and return to boil
- Return jam to set point and then put in jars and process appropriately (water bath for 10 minutes).