Oven-Roasted Cambodian Styled Pulled Pork
The quantity of lemongrass caramel sauce is enough to coat the pulled pork from a 5 to 7 pound pork butt and impart the flavors of the sauce. If you desire a wet pulled pork, double the sauce amount and reserve half of it. Then, spoon the reserved sauce over the pulled pork when served.
Dry Rub Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons course kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Lemongrass Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium stalks lemongrass (9 tablespoon), mince in a food processor
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 Thai chili peppers or Serrano pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (5 to 7 lb) bone-in pork butt, shoulder or Boston Butt
- 14 - 16 hamburger buns
Basting Liquid Recipe
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Start with the basting liquid
- In a saucepan, heat chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, fish sauce, five spice, pepper and cayenne over medium high heat.
- Simmer gently, stirring for 5 minutes until sugar dissolves. The basting liquid will thicken slightly when removed from heat.
- Remove fat cap and trim excess fat from pork butt. Mix dry rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Apply dry rub evenly over pork butt, wrap in Saran wrap and refrigerate overnight in a roasting pan or on a large plate.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Place pork butt on the rack of a roasting pan and bake for 75 to 90 minutes per pound. Roast until tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 195 degrees F.
- Halfway through the estimated cooking time, baste one side with a cotton mop or spoon the basting liquid over pork. Flip the butt over and baste the other side. If desired, repeat basting process one more time, halfway through the remaining cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, garlic, shallots, stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in caramel sauce, fish sauce, chili peppers, and black pepper. Gently simmer for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, return to a simmer for 3 minutes and then set aside.
- When the pork reaches 195 degrees F, remove from oven. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and rest for 30 minutes. Shred pork by using two forks and pulling apart the meat and discard fat. Put shredded pork in a large bowl. Pour sauce on shredded pork and mix well.
Serve pulled pork on a hamburger bun with a side of Asian slaw.