Balinese Thousand Spice Sauce
This recipe was given to me by my mother - she likes to use it with Spiced Lobster Saté.
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 red bird chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons galangal, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon kentjur (lesser galangal), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric root peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3 candlenuts or macadamia nuts, ground or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup sweet soy sauce
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add all the ingredients except the sweet soy sauce and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender. Add ¾ cup water and process until smooth. Return the purée to the skillet, place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce; lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. If the mixture seems too thick, stir in a few tablespoons cold water.
- Strain the mixture in a sieve over a large bowl.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.