This is the classic Japanese sauce using yuzu juice. If you can’t find yuzu, lime juice is an acceptable substitute. Most Asian markets now stock bottled yuzu juice.
Ponzu is great on grilled meats, but you can use it to create a salad dressing with an Asian flair.
- ¾ cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup bonito flakes
- ¼ cup fresh yuzu juice, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated yuzu zest, if available
- Combine the mirin, vinegar, soy sauce, yuzu zest and bonito flakes in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Pour the sauce through a strainer into a bowl; discard the bonito flakes.
- Add the yuzu juice.
- Store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.