Asado de Chile Colorado (Pork Stew in Red Chile Sauce)
Have as a stew, over rice or with tortillas; wrap some up in a burrito and you will never go back to "Chipotle™" again. A specialty of northern Mexico, this recipe introduces pork shoulder to a combination of dried ancho, New Mexico, and pasilla chiles, a few spices and a bit of red to yield fork tender morsels of deliciousness.
- 1 stick Canella (mexican dried soft bark cinnamon)
- 4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 4 sun dried tomatoes (break into small pieces before placing in grinder)
- 15 dried seeded New Mexico chilies (break into small pieces before placing in grinder)
- 3 dried seeded ancho chilies (break into small pieces before placing in grinder)
- 2 dried seeded pasilla chilies (break into small pieces before placing in grinder)
- ½ cup powdered cooking chocolate (semi sweet)
- 1½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 to 6 pound bone in pork shoulder cut into 1 inch slabs (this can easily be done by your butcher if you ask)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 10 cloves of garlic - whole
- 8 dried tomatoes - whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic whole
- 2 red peppers coarsly chopped
- 6 sun dried tomatoes finely ground
- 4 tablespoons New Mexico chile powder
- Grind Seasonings from first list in a mill to a fine powder.
- Combine all stewing ingredients and ground seasonings in a slow cooker and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours, or until pork breaks apart easily
- When the pork is done the meat should easily separate from the bone and break apart with a fork. Remove pork from slow cooker with tongs and slotted spoon - strain the broth from the slow cooker saving as much of it as possible and discard the strained tomatoes, garlic, and bones. Seperate the fat from the broth and set aside (there should be between 3 and 4 cups of broth left over.)
- When the pork has cooled enough to touch, remove the remaing bones by hand and shred the meat using your fingers and/or a pair of forks
- Saute the garlic and red peppers in olive oil and add shredded pork, brown meat stirring constantly for about 5 minute over high heat and return to fresh slow cooker.
- Stir broth to mix, and pour 3 cups over meat and peppers in slow cooker.
- Stir in finishing ground chile and sun dried tomato, and set slow cooker on high, uncovered. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 1/2 hours, covering cooker when stew reaches desired consistency.
- Serve with white rice or warm or corn tortillas, garnish with roasted corn and or cilantro.